Selfless service for the community of Peel
Every child deserves the chance to have a great life, to feel like they belong and have the opportunity to be involved in their community.
Helping those in need is a common thread woven in the values of both the Sikh community and United Way of Peel Region. We believe that our children deserve every opportunity to be successful, to be happy and to be themselves.
The Sikh Ambassadors Giving Circle wants to partner with caring citizens in Peel Region to ensure that our children have access to all the supports they need to get a good education, develop leadership skills and combat any challenges they may face.
There are several issues that exist which directly impact our children and youth’s well-being, their identity and their confidence -particularly for newcomer children or kids living in poverty. Bullying, peer pressure, struggles with mental health and the need for educational supports are just a few things that can negatively impact a child’s life.
We believe that together we can create a safe environment where our children can thrive, live their values and become the leaders of tomorrow.
- 1 in 5 kids in Peel live in poverty
- 20% or the racialized population in Peel live in poverty
- 70% of mental health problems and illnesses begin during childhood or adolescence
- Over half of bullied children do not report being bullied to a teacher
- Over 22,000 people who self-identified as South Asian participated in programs funded by United Way 2015/16. This is an increase of 22% from 2014/15
APNE Kids is the solution!
The Sikh Ambassadors Giving Circle is committed to supporting our children through the APNE Kids project. This project will provide children in our community with a safe environment to:
- Access homework supports
- Access mental health supports through informal counselling
- Participate in social recreational opportunities with fellow children & youth
- Learn about anti-violence through artistic expression
- Participate in drop in programs including after school programs, job and housing supports, community referral services and more
- Participate in activities that help to develop their leadership skills
We can’t make this program a success without you. We need your partnership, the total cost for APNE Kids is $240,000.
“The Lord destroys the sufferings of the meek and unfortunate and protects those who serve them”
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib
Give: Without your support APNE Kids will not exist. Please give generously to the APNE Kids Project and support the children in our community. Gifts of $1,200 or more per year will be publicly recognized by United Way of Peel Region.
Volunteer: Join the Sikh Ambassadors Giving Circle as a volunteer. Be a voice and advocate for change for Sikh children and youth of Peel Region
Act: Create awareness of the needs of our children in Peel Region. Reach out to your gurdwara, local businesses, talk to your friends and family about APNE Kids and spread the word about the work being done in the community. Bring them together to raise money and awareness for this critical project.
Our promise to you:
- We will report back to you on the outcomes of the APNE Kids project on a regular basis
- We will recognize your contributions in a meaningful way
- We will support our children and youth in Peel Region to become the leaders of tomorrow
United Way is committed to working with residents and partners from all sectors to create a community where all of our children have the opportunity to thrive. We know there’s something special that happens when a group of caring individuals come together to collaborate; they create real change. The transformation touches the lives of not only one person but an entire community.
Get in touch with us to find out more information. We are excited to hear from you.
For information, contact Ilmana Fasih at email@example.com or 905-602-3637.