When you invest in your community through United Way you can trust that your dollars are being strategically invested where they are needed most:
- United Way supports a network of 56 human services agencies and funds 100 programs and services.
- United Way brings together all areas of community – business, government, labour, academia, school boards and others – to address social issues at the root cause level and develop effective, long-term strategies.
- United Way’s Community Investments team adds tremendous value to your donation. They develop a highly targeted investment strategy based on in-depth knowledge of social issues, extensive research, awareness of community need and an ability to identify, address and alleviate existing gaps.
- United Way measures outcomes in its investment areas and reports these back to donors. We have rigorous standards of excellence for performance and report outcomes annually.
Your support changes lives
Results in 2011/12
- 23,383 individuals, including children received the basic necessities like food, clothing and shelter
- 63,454 children and youth increased their social skills, self esteem and leadership abilities, putting them on the path to future success
- 280 children developed positive, supportive relationships with adult and peer mentors
- 22,550 people with mental health issues improved their emotional and social well-being
- 13,196 seniors became healthier and could live independently
- 15,838 individuals with disabilities were able to stay engaged and live independently
- 178 women, who have been abused, and their (148) children received the shelter, counselling and support needed to help them begin a new life free from violence