The Young Leaders Council is a group of individuals aged 20-35 years old who are active and emerging leaders working together to promote the engagement of our generation within Peel Region. We empower Peel's emerging leaders to strengthen the community and inherit the future of United Way of Peel Region.
The Young Leaders Council focuses on three key themes, described as roles within the community:
Connector: Link youth, youth organizations, and non-profit organizations in the Region of Peel to provide support and leadership to youth-led organizations, connect youth to services and engage youth in our community.
Voice: Represent youth on youth issues in the Region of Peel, promote the role of youth-led organizations in the community, and enable advocacy efforts for and by youth.
Thinker: Develop and nurture awareness of and thinking around new ideas on youth issues, youth engagement, and community services as they relate to youth.
Leave a Legacy
We understand the personal, social and professional rewards you are seeking. We have no doubt that there is a volunteer, awareness or donation opportunity that will inspire you to get involved.
Low Time Committment
- Show your commitment to building a caring, connected community by making a donation to the Community Fund.
- Sign up to receive email updates on YLC activities.
Medium Time Committment
There are several subcommittees that you can get involved with.
- Communications: promote YLC activities through social media including Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
- Community Connections: Creating opportunities for young leaders in Peel Region to network, connect, share information and collaborate on community projects and create opportunities to link young leaders in Peel Region to professional mentors, as well as providing opportunities to mentor.
- Events: participate in the planning and execution of events, including social, fundraising and/or volunteer activities, as well idea forums and think tanks to create solutions for issues in your community
- GenNext Ambassador Network: promote United Way to your colleagues (ages 20 to 35) as part of your employer's workplace campaign.
- Idea Forum: Create spaces and forums for young leaders and the broader youth community in Peel to discuss community issues, their experience, and contributions.
- Youth Campaigns: promote Youth Campaigns to people under the age of 24 and spearhead the Youth Spirit Awards.
- Youth in Action Grants: plan, promote and review the Youth in Action Grants, a grant opportunity available for youth between the ages of 14 to 24 years to lead and implement community projects.
High Time Committment
The Executive Members are elected by the YLC membership during the YLC General Meeting each spring. Participation typically requires attendance and participation at monthly Executive meetings and leading and coordinating monthly committee meetings. Members should not miss more than three meetings per calendar year. Available positions are recruited for in the spring.
- Chair: The Chair provides leadership to the YLC Executive.
- Vice Chair: Supports the Chair in providing leadership to the Young Leaders Council Executive.
- Executive: Executive members of the YLC include the leaders of each of the YLC committees.
- Member-at-Large: Members-at-Large participate on the YLC Executive Committee by providing general support to YLC activities but do not lead a committee.
How to get involved!
There are several different ways you can get involved with the Young Leaders Council.
Check us out on Facebook: Young Leaders Council – United Way of Peel Region
List of members